2019 Health Champions
Annually, the Ventura County Board of Supervisors presents “Health Champion” awards to local community organizations on behalf of the Board of Supervisors, the Community Commission for Ventura County and the Partnership for a Healthy Ventura County.
The Partnership’s 2019 Health Champion Award recipients are recognized for their efforts toward achieving the vision of the Partnership: “that Ventura County be recognized as the healthiest county in the nation by 2030.” Each of the four HVC strategic committees selects one organization to highlight achievements in their specific focus area.
Please join us in recognizing the Partnership for a Healthy Ventura County “2019 Health Champions”. They are recognized for their exemplary work in addressing health disparities and the obesity crisis, and for their efforts toward making Ventura County the healthiest county in California.
2019 Health Champion Award Recipients:
Healthy at Work: Maricela Gutierrez – As a promotora and community health worker for the Seeding Health Harvesting Wellbeing Program with Reiter Affiliated Companies since it was initiated in 2009, Maricela has gained the trust and admiration of those she serves through her passion and commitment to educating and supporting farmworkers and their families in improving their health and well-being.
Healthy in Your Neighborhood and at Home: Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Oxnard and Port Hueneme (Erin Antrim, MS, Chief Executive Officer) – Selected for their leadership in serving thousands of Ventura County youth annually, the Boys & Girls Club of Oxnard focuses on character development and fostering skills that support youth. Through innovative programs and activities that emphasize education and career development, the arts, fitness and recreation, good nutrition, culture and technology, youth is inspired to lead a healthy lifestyle. This group is also recognized for being the first, in California, to operate a Boys and Girls Club inside a juvenile correction facility.
- Healthy at Healthcare: Ventura County Public Health Kid’s Club (Patti Sheldon, RN) – Through use of an evidence-based practice curriculum, with a focus on the whole family, and in coordination with local schools and each client’s Primary Care Provider, the Kid’s Club program provide series-based nutrition education classes and Zumba® dancing sessions to inspire and empower families to eat healthier and become more physically active.
- Healthy at School: Rio School District’s Smashing Veggies the Healthy Living Band (John D. Puglisi, Ph.D, Superintendent) – Selected for their creativity and commitment to teaching the values of health and wellness to students, district-wide, through the creation of original songs with lyrics that embrace good nutrition and healthy habits
Thank you Champions!
Please join us in commending these recipients in their exemplary work in response to the obesity crisis and contributing towards the goal of Ventura County being named the healthiest county in California.
The nomination process
Join us each year to nominate our Ventura County Health Champions. You may nominate an organization or member of the community at any time. Award winners are selected from the nominees each January by the related Healthy Ventura County Coalition committees. Use the following Champion Award Nomination Form and return your nominations to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Health Champion Award Document to Download
- Partnership Health Champion Award Process
- Health Champion Award Nomination Form
- Partnership Health Champion Awardee Form